Summer Tortellini Salad
July 6, 2011
I call this a "salad". Really, does anything with a pasta base count as a salad? Not hardly. Regardless, this is a quick and refreshing dish for a summer brunch or side for dinner. Add a little olive oil, and it stores fine overnight.
-cheese or spinach filled tortellini
-grape tomatoes (Cherry tomatoes work well too.)
-S & P
1. Make tortellini according to package directions. Rinse and toss with olive or grapeseed oil. Allow to cool in fridge for 10-20 minutes. (This ensures that the hot pasta will not melt the mozzerella when combining.)
2. Chop a large bunch of fresh basil.
3. Strain and chop one 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts.
4. Drain one or two cans of sliced black olives.
5. Cut fresh mozzarella balls into slices and then chop into cubes. (You can also use mozzarella string cheese if fresh mozzarella is not available.)
5. Combine tortellini pasta, one carton of cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped basil, artichoke hearts, cheese, and 2/3 cup of Italian dressing.
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve cold and enjoy!