Do normal grown women love dolls? I would typically say no, but I think nesting dolls have enough kitch to win adults over. These little ladies are the first project that I did for the nursery. I've always loved the look of nesting dolls, but never had an excuse to have any until now.
After I saw these modern nesting dolls, I was smitten. Then one of my favorite bloggers, Liz Stanley, made some. I'm really not a great painter, but I knew I wanted a set for the shelf in the nursery. I decided risking a DIY disaster was still a cheaper option than buying a set on Etsy.
Before I even found the blank dolls, I bought these Martha Stewart paints to get inspired. I knew I would end up using them in the nursery somehow. (Her paint colors are simply the most beautiful and always turn out like you hope they will. I used: Acorn, Camellia Pink, Scallion, Pool, PurpleYam, Pea Shoot)
2. I got this cute little fridge magnet at World Market a couple years ago. I decided to use her as an example and drew a tentative design in pencil.
3. I painted the "outfits" first and then added the circles for faces. I saved drawing the faces until last because I figured this is where I would most likely mess things up. And I did. More than once. Thankfully, I just painted over the faces again and let them dry before trying again.
4. Lastly, I sprayed two applications of a high gloss coating to give the ladies their finishing touch.
I think the little one is my favorite...I'm calling her Katia. Turns out the Martha paint colors match Dr. Seuss almost identically. Total accident.
I am so excited to share an absolutely GORGEOUS giveaway from Julie Sinden Handmade. Julie's shop has the most beautiful boiled wool hats and scarves. Each piece is handmade by Julie's team in her Toronto workshop. One of YOU will win any item you choose from Julie's shop (a $50-$60 value). Take a look...
How to Enter...
1. Leave a comment below with "WOOL" somewhere in the post. You'll automatically be entered to win.
2. Head to Julie's shop and pick out what you would choose if you do win! (Click here.)
Want to double your chances to win?
1. Follow me on Twitter and tweet me your favorite item from Julie's shop.
Spread the word! This giveaway will close on Thursday, Jan. 16th.